The Spanish Agency for Medicines and Health Products (AEMPS) , dependent on the Ministry of Health, has updated the results of its market control campaign for sun protection products to ensure that the sun protection factor (SPF) claimed in the labeling does not differ from that determined in the tests. Two of the 14 creams that had less protection than advertised have received approval from the AEMPS.
Two creams have the approval of the drug agency
- ISDIN Photoprotector Fusion Water SPF 50. In the test carried out by the AEMPS of a batch of this product, an average value of SPF very close to 50 was obtained, specifically a value of 46.3. According to company information, this lot was distributed in 2020, so it is estimated that there are currently no units available on the market.
In addition, the company has submitted nine studies carried out on its product that, based on the evaluation carried out by the Agency, would endorse an SPF of 50. This is why the AEMPS considers that it is not necessary to withdraw other batches of the product and that, for Therefore, Isdin Photoprotector Fusion Water SPF 50 facial photoprotector for daily use can continue to be marketed in Spain.
- Ladival sensitive skin SPF 50+ from STADA Arzneimittel AG, batch 93845. In the tests carried out by the AEMPS of this batch, an average SPF value very close to 50 was obtained, specifically a value of 46.6 and 43.9.
According to company information, this lot has not been released for sale. In addition, the company has submitted two SPF studies carried out on its product which, taking into account the evaluation carried out by the Agency, would endorse an SPF of 50. This is why Ladival sensitive skin SPF 50+ from STADA Arzneimittel AG can continue to be marketed in Spain.
The rest of sun creams that maintain their negative evaluation
A. Seven products did not have a concordant SPF, but SPF values between 30 and 49.9 have been obtained, considered an SPF within the range of efficacy of the high protection category.
The Agency has urged companies to voluntarily recall the batches tested and has asked them to carry out additional trials on other batches to verify the safety of the products. The same action has been required for products in which an SPF value of less than 60 has been obtained and 50+ was claimed, which is the very high protection category.
- Les Cosmetiques sun ultimate sensitive SPF 50+ solar spray for sensitive skin from Centros Comerciales Carrefour, SA
- Belle & Sun invisible sun mist SPF 50 from Perseida Beauty.
- Farline solar spray SPF 50+ 200 mL Very high protection from Farline Comercializadora de Productos Farmacéuticos SA
- Babaria solar protective mist SPF 50 from Berioska.
- Seesee transparent sun spray SPF 50+ from Cosmetrade.
- Piz Buin hydro infusion gel sunscreen SFP 50 Johnson & Johnson Santé Beauté High Protection.
- Lancaster sun sensitive luminous tan comfort cream SPF 50+ from Coty.
B. Five products have not obtained an SPF lower than that indicated on their labels, always below 29.9. In these cases, the AEMPS has urged companies to voluntarily withdraw the product.
- Abelay Sunscreen SPF50 from Ab7 cosmetic.
- Mussvital photoprotector ultra light 50+ aerosol spray from Peroxfarma.
- Eucerin sun protection sensitive protect sun spray transparent dry touch SPF 50 high from Beiersdorf AG.
- Hawaiian Tropic Silk Hydratation Solar Mist air soft® SPF 50+ (High) by Wilkinson Sword.
- Australian gold SPF Botanical SPF 50 continuous spray by Biorius.
The Great Writer and The Passionate Poet As Well, He Graduated from University Of Florida in Journalism and Brad have around 12 years of experience in news and media section.